Saturday, December 10, 2011

Week 3 Half Marathon Training Recap

Week 1 recap
Week 2 recap

Also known as: the week where I stopped believing in myself.

My runs through the week were absolutely terrible.

It was a combination of starting too late in the morning with warm (December in Florida) temperatures, stress, dehydration, and pain. I also think I screwed myself by switching Monday's run to Tuesday, making me run two days in a row.
STICK.TO.THE.PLAN.


The plan was 3.5 miles, 3.5 miles, and then my longest run ever of 5 miles.

I think the 1/2 mile thing is throwing me off.

I wouldn't even call what I did during the week, "running."

Check it.

Tuesday:
3.5 miles, average pace 13:07. WTF? It was more like walking.

Wednesday:
My right ankle was hurting, there was NO WIND, the heat was stifling; so humid.
I physically and mentally gave up from the beginning.
I only made it 2.5 miles. I seriously was so disappointed in myself.

Thursday and Friday were work days.
Thursday, I was at work for about an hour and a half, and seriously had a mental breakdown from stress and I left. I can't even get into how incredibly guilty I felt for leaving, but I could not function at work. ugh. I came home and made hot cocoa with tiny marshmallows and drank it in a santa cup. It was the coldest day yet of the season and the cats were snuggled with me on the couch while I finished the entire Season 1 of Parenthood and began season 2. Pretty much a ball of nerves and tears the entire day.

That's Abbey asleep on my lap.

I had incredibly low expectations for this morning's 5 miler. After the last runs, I felt so defeated, like I physically would not even be able to finish 5 miles. I thought that maybe I should just quit now because obviously I am not meant to do this. But I laced up my sneakers anyway for good measure in hopes that I would feel differently once I got out there.

Immediately, I knew that 5 miles would be quite the distance of me, so I decided to not have too high of expectations with my time. I wasn't sure I would even be able to make it; I thought I might quit halfway through!!
 I decided to run .25 miles, and walk .10 the entire time.

I have to say, this method worked so well. When I was running, I was going WAAYY faster than I normally do--9:50-10:00m/m. It was glorious!!

Here's the Garmin breakdown:
Mile 1: 11:27
Mile 2: 12:21
Mile 3: 12:22
Mile 4: 12:10
Mile 5: 11:57

I finished in 1 hour, and 20 seconds...an average pace of 12:04. That is with walking breaks!

This was my favorite run to date. The weather was p.e.r.f.e.c.t.; overcast, NO SUN, and cool in the low 60's. I believe this helped me tremendously.

In addition, I ran my regular trail route, but took detours through a park around a lake, and then through the KAO campgrounds. The change in scenery definitely boosted my enthusiasm.

I felt so proud of myself. I almost gave up on running, but now I am back. From now on, I will be incorporating this run-walk interval because I am way more efficient and faster.
uuummmm, ignore my dirty nail.


1 comments:

Jena said...

Nicole,

You CAN do this. You CAN & You WILL. It's only your 3rd week, cut your self some slack, lady! The temps were warm this week, that makes for craptastic running for everyone. It's not just you. EVERYONE has bad days.

Even the elite runners have bad days, like the 2011 Boston Marathon leader - She was way ahead for a large portion of the race..then bam. injured.she had to drop out.

Forget about week 3 & move on to week 4. The temps this week aren't looking much better than last week. Hydrate well, focus on the task at hand, and get it done. You can do this girl. Mind before matter. Don't let yourself get defeated. Don't worry about your time. No one is judging your time. .

You had a solid week last week! Be proud of that. You got your miles in even when you felt defeated. Nice job on that 5 miler!!!