Friday, December 16, 2011

Cleanin' up!

Do you ever see pictures in magazines or on blogs with beautiful homes and apartments that just seem so perfectly clean and organized all the time? And you feel like a slob or failure for not being able to keep your place as impeccably clean?
Well, sometimes, I do!
I'm not perfect. I LIVE in my apartment. WE live in our apartment. We work, cook, make a mess, etc. We also clean, but it doesn't stay clean for long or forever because of the reasons I just listed.


Today, I will take you on a tour of our incredibly messy apartment as I go through and clean it. Why? To show the world how normal, every-day-people live.

We'll start with the bedroom...

Before:
You may notice we have pretty much nothing on the walls. I'm working on it!!



After:

I admit. Our bedroom is incredibly boring. We keep our bureau's in the closets, so it looks bare. That corner with the table? I've had plans for almost a year to turn it into a comfy chair with a light for reading. Still hasn't happened...


I definitely think we need a few things to spruce up the bedroom. For one, art on the walls. I am thinking of getting a couple of framed prints of our engagement session, but would that be cheesy to hang in the bedroom?
In addition to the chair with light and bookcase for me, I would love a bed frame and headboard. I think it would just make it feel much more like a bedroom. Also, does anyone else agree that Mirza needs a nightstand and light? He said he doesn't, but for the symmetry alone...

Bathroom #1

Before:

After:


Dining area.

Before:

After:


Kitchen.

Before:

This actually wasn't as bad as it could have been. Our kitchen never stays clean. We use it too much! That's a good thing, right?


After:


Living Room:

Before:



After:

A few things: When the tree is gone, that's all blank, white space. I'd like to get a a book shelf or cupboard with glass doors for my mom's tea cups...something! I also hate that coffee table. It was hand-me down I've had since my first apartment. I'd like a more grown-up piece; something wood. Any suggestions?



Note: We do not own the TV. It comes with our apartment mounted to the wall. Pretty sweet, right?

Music room:

Before:

Also known as: WTF happened in here??

 Oh.my...


After:

Ah, much better.

This room took me the longest. I didn't photograph the closet, but it's much more organized now. In addition, Mirza's desk? That man doesn't throw away anything. We're the complete opposite. I throw out everything. Nothing is safe.



Bathroom #2

Before:

Yikes!!


After:


I didn't make it to the laundry room or porch. They will have to wait until next time.




So, there you have it. Embarrassing photos of my messy apartment.

I dream of one day owning a beautiful home with a big kitchen full of windows, nice lighting, a great island, and tons of counter space where my vitamix can sit out at all times. 

For now, I am stuck in my 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment.

I'd love ideas on making a smaller space more functional without adding tons of furniture. I hate when every wall has a piece of furniture up against it!


0 comments: